A house on fire!

As the summer has shown its true colors again, everyone is trying different ways to cool themselves and to minimize the heat of the season.

The easiest way we have found is the use of Air Conditioner (AC). You just turn on a button and you’ll start breathing in the fresh and cool air. No doubt, the invention of AC is a great service to the humanity but there are certain limitations as well. We have to take such precautionary measures while using ACs, otherwise; the results could be dangerous.

Thursday, a house in Ahmad Block, New Garden Town; caught fire due to an electric short-circuit, might possible, due to the over burdened use of ACs and other electric appliances or due to the old and out dated electric wires. When I reached there the ‘Rescue 1122‘ team had already been doing their duty.

http://lahore.metblogs.com/archives/images/2007/07/DSC00633_filtered-thumb.jpg

The smoke was coming from the left side of the house. The fire broke out in the living room. It was severe inside the room as it burnt each and every thing in the room. The curtains and the bed cloth/sheet proved to be the fuel of the fire. The flames were not visible but the thick black smoke was providing clues that what the face of the fire could be.

http://lahore.metblogs.com/archives/images/2007/07/DSC00634_filtered-thumb.jpg

The Rescue team worked hard to put out the fire but they were facing difficulty to put the water inside the room. Then, the Rescue team cut the grill of the room and got into it.

Then came the rescue team of ‘Lahore Fire Department(LFD) {the old fire service of Lahore}. They made a (as usual) late entry into the situation. They were dressed in khaki colored uniforms and were of at least my grandfather’s age. They seemed quite professional and were contended on the current situation.

http://lahore.metblogs.com/archives/images/2007/07/DSC00640_filtered-thumb.jpg

Soon, it seemed that the fire is under control, but, when they entered the room, they got to know that the fire was approaching toward the inner portion of the house. The LFD‘s rescuers went inside the room and then put the water on the flames.

The whole activity took about 30 minutes. There was no injury but I couldn’t muster up my courage to ask any of the family members about the loss in this grieve situation.

http://lahore.metblogs.com/archives/images/2007/07/DSC00641_filtered-thumb.jpg

The family members were at the back yard and most of the ladies were crying over the situation of their house.

I know it was a moment of grief but Thank God that no one was hurt and the Rescue 1122 team reached in time and saved a lot. If you are using ACs at your home or office, please make it sure that your electric wires are not outdated. You can also apply some other techniques for preventing the electric short-circuits like; you can use “Circuit Breakers” which are automatically turned off when the electric flow in the wires is more or less then the required one.

http://lahore.metblogs.com/archives/images/2007/07/DSC00630_filtered-thumb.jpg

The other old solution is the use of “Fuse Plug” which contains a thin piece of wire. This wire provides the passage to the electricity from the main input wire to the sub-wires of your house. If the input increases, the wire is so thin that it can’t bear high voltage and is burnt automatically breaking the passage of the electricity and hence; stopping the electric flow.

More electric prevention suggestions are welcomed.

5 Comments so far

  1. Adnan (unregistered) on July 15th, 2007 @ 9:56 am

    I. Uninstall the AC and have the ceilings and walls insulated.

    II. Shift somewhere near North Pole in summer. (In 10 years Canada will have more Pakistanis than Canadians.)

    III. Use Voltage Stablizers.


  2. Opee (unregistered) on July 15th, 2007 @ 10:06 am

    Well, there are more foreigners than canadians themselves in Canada already! :)


  3. binary-zero (unregistered) on July 15th, 2007 @ 3:13 pm

    the circuit breakers & thin wire Fuse Plug are not that efficient incase of high voltages, they are only efficient when current flow is high/low. For breaking on load disturbance more sophisticated equipment is installed which involves many circuteries & ICs etc..

    so just be cautious – High Current != High Voltage ; and both are very dangerous.


  4. >man!< (unregistered) on July 16th, 2007 @ 1:38 am

    @ Adnan:

    Insulation is a good idea..
    but moving to Canada..!

    ahm…
    sounds interesting..
    :)

    but there would be no Lahore Metroblogging!
    :(


  5. >man!< (unregistered) on July 16th, 2007 @ 1:42 am

    @ Opee:

    Thats really sad..

    but then where the Canadians themselves have gone..?
    ;)

    @ Binary-Zero:

    Thanks for the information…
    but those sophisticated equipments also contain a complex integration of small circuit breakers..

    correct me if I m wrong..!



Terms of use | Privacy Policy | Content: Creative Commons | Site and Design © 2009 | Metroblogging ® and Metblogs ® are registered trademarks of Bode Media, Inc.